Thursday, January 29, 2015

January Meeting Notes

February hostesses will be: Erica Olson, Betty Schmitt, & Kelly Stodola
Thank you to hostesses Donelle Fisk, Heidi Headlee, Meg Tryba

 President Erica Olson opened the meeting after we enjoyed our refreshments.

Show & Tell items were shared including items made during the January Retreat.

December Secretary meeting minutes were approved as written.
December Treasurer’s Report was approved (DF/JP).

Correspondence was read.  Discussion followed on retention of these type items.  The Historian position was eliminated and JoDee J. & Betty S. to help go through old items.  Program Committee to further review what to do with prior items & pictures (JP/MT). Kelly S. to start a Google drive for us and we should tag our quilt pictures we post of Facebook to WRPM page also.  Perhaps a “Happenings this Year” entry could be put on Facebook.   Challenge Quilt deadline needs to be reviewed since we don’t have 2015 show. Do we retain a Challenge Committee?

-       2015 Quilt Retreats: Meg Tryba spoke on retreat attendance and housing arrangements there. Registration checks are made payable to Oak Forest and not cashed until the retreat. Spring dates are April 10th thru 12th Fri - Sun only option at $95. Sign up sheet at February meeting. Arrange your roommates in advance please. 
-       The survey results were review and discussed.  A copy to be distributed to all members.  Last month we voted on a bi-annual quilt show with next show in 2016.

With the new Round Tuit program a list should be brought in every meeting.  Just make a list of your unfinished projects and keep track as you complete them.  We will “get her done” this coming year.  Several Round Tuit items were shared.

Meg Tryba spoke on the Program scheduled for our February meeting.  Sue Heinz at kismetquilting.com from White Bear Lake is coming early. Remember to bring notebook for notes for the two hour presentation and she will have items to purchase available.  “Sashing in the Round” title of presentation.

Betty spoke on giving out first baby of the year quilt and caring quilts. We need to continue to work on making more quilts to have them available. More fabric has come in to use. Discussion on first baby born quilt project; motion carried to retire that quilt project. (BS/BK )

Raffle basket brought in by Cindy Peer – drawing winner Becky Koeher.  Discussion on retaining raffle basket.  In lieu of basket as a fund-raiser, it was determined that we would bring in items for the Food Shelf quarterly instead.  (BL/MB)   First collection in March !!!.

- - - - Discussion on an optional fun day out event.   A Quilt Show at Sargents Nursery in Red Wing on Saturday Feb. 7th.  We will leave the Park & Ride lot in Roberts at 7:30 am and enjoy the show and a late luncheon out.  A preliminary sign up sheet indicated 13 people interested.

Sandy B. distributed next block of the month pattern.  Project due in May.

Motion to adjourn. (JJ/NM)

Respectfully submitted,

Mary Simonds, Secretary  

Monday, January 19, 2015

December Meeting Notes

December 2014 Meeting Notes

January hostesses will be: Donelle Fisk, Heidi Headlee, Meg Tryba

Thank you to hostesses JoDee Johnston, Kelly Stodola, & Eileen Van Dyk

President Erica Olson opened the meeting after we enjoyed our refreshments
and Christmas party potluck meal.

Several Show items and several Tells were shared.

November meeting minutes were approved as written. (KS/NM)

November Treasurer’s Report given.  Report was approved as presented.

- Letter received from the St. Croix County Fair Board reviewing our
concerns on displaying quilts was read. A few brief comments were
shared.

- 2015 Quilt Retreats: Meg Tryba passed out sign up sheet and reviewed
details. JoDee has contract for Jan. 8th 11th event at Oak Forest.

Registration checks can be brought to the retreat that day but let Kelly S. or
Meg T know so they will know how many are coming since we have now
opened it up to friends and there is a limit to the space we have. Spring
dates are April 10th thru 12th Fri - Sun only option at $95.

- Turning Point sent a letter requesting towels, laundry soap and other items
to fill gift boxes. Motion by JP/MT to authorize $75 to be spent to fill two
boxes with the items requested. Meg and Erica will do the shopping and
deliver boxes.

The new Round Tuit program was explained by Kelly and the first prizes were
distributed to Sandy, Donelle, and Dale Ann. This list should be brought in
every meeting. Just make a list of your unfinished projects and keep track as
you complete them. We will “get her done” this coming year.

Meg Tryba spoke on the Program scheduled for our February meeting. Sue
Heinz at kismetquilting.com from White Bear Lake has been contacted to come.
Remember to bring notebook for notes to that extra long evening event.

Betty spoke on giving out five caring quilts to a local family that had a fire last
month. We need to continue to work on making more quilts to have available.

In Nov. the Guild had participated in a lengthy discussion regarding the
responsibilities of each member with the Guild activities, fund-raisers, and follow through on communications and commitments. It had been determined a survey would be the best assessment tool to allow input from the full membership addressing participation in/or on Quilt Show Committee or Show and annual vs bi-annual Shows; evaluating retaining stashbusters? Raffle baskets? Committeeassignments, etc.

Rather than putting too much responsibility on too few members, do we need to
eliminate some items, or re-evaluate how we will be able to accomplish some of
our commitments by sharing the workloads involved? Together, with each doing
a part, we can continue to support our community, while we expand our quilting
skills and have fun doing it.

At this meeting a decision on annual vs bi-annual shows was required to meet
application deadlines for licensure for a raffle quilt. All other items to be
discussed at the next meeting after any additional surveys come in that have
not yet been reviewed. Motion by KS/SB to do a bi-annual show with the next
show scheduled for 2016. Motion carried. There are decisions to be made as to
how we are going forward. Come and participate, if possible.

Remember – January meeting is a week later (on 15th) due to the Retreat dates.

Raffle basket went to Cindy Peer; Stashbuster blocks to Betty Schmit.

Correspondence was read.

Motion to adjourn. KS/JP
Respectfully submitted,
Mary Simonds, Secretary
Activities followed the meeting as many fat quarters changed hands many times.