Thursday, June 22, 2017

June Meeting Notes

Willow River Piecemaker’s Quilt Guild Meeting Minutes for June 8th, 2017

Our June meeting was our potluck picnic, held at Linda Andert’s on Cedar Lake.  Thank you, Linda, for opening up your place for our event.  It was a beautiful evening and the food was really  good a usual.  Fun was had by all.  A few people were working on their barn quilts during the evening.  Thank you, Linda, for making this project possible at your home, too.

Prizes were awarded for the Sewing Bee Contest.  Linda Volkert volunteered and judged the different teams the evening of the May meeting while the quilts were sewed together.  Linda voted Team 3 as the winner of the project that evening.  Team 3 was Becky, Eileen, Meg B, and JoDee.  Team 4 won the contest while the quilts were displayed at A Little Piece of Mind during the month of May.  Team 4 was Jean K, Barb R, Mary B, Linda J, and Betty S.  Gift certificates for A Little Piece of Mind were awarded to the winners.

Caring Quilts:
4 tops were given to the guild from Mary Johnson, a former member of our guild.  Becky volunteered to help cut kits for the caring quilts.  

Farm Girl Projects:
Pam Caduff is working with a group that are signed up to do the 48 blocks.  4 blocks per month is the requirement.  5 people had completed the required 4 blocks at the meeting.  If you completed all 4 blocks of the project, your name was put in a drawing for the evening.  Barb Rogers name was drawn and she won a Farm Girl pig pattern.

Mary Gosse and Bridget Larson are heading up another group for the Farm Girl quilt.  Mary had a handout for this project.  This project is an open project where you can design your own project, creating what you want. It can be big or small, whatever you choose.    You just need to give a copy of your plan/projection to Mary or Bridget to also qualify for raffle drawings.  This project will start next month.  See Mary for the form if you missed the meeting.

A note from Linda Andert below:
On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 10:40 AM Andertlc <andertlc@frontier.com> wrote:
I found this site with many free Farm Girl patterns

http://www.pinksimplicity.com/

I love freebies

Linda



Upcoming July information:

Cathedral Windows Demonstration – Erica Plank.

Show and Tell:  Bring your cathedral window quilts, wall hangings, pillows, etc.

Hostesses:  Linda Justmann  - if anyone is available to help Linda with treats, please reach out to her directly.  Please and thank you…………

The St. Croix County Fair is July 19-23, 2017.  Hope you entered quilts to share with the community.

Monday, June 5, 2017

May Meeting Notes

Willow River Piecemaker’s Quilt Guild Meeting Minutes for May 11th, 2017

May’s meeting was mainly the new project from Hope and Barb called Sewing Bee Contest.  Teams were formed and quilts were made.  Some great projects were made in one short evening.  Super fun project and hopefully you made it to A Little Piece of Mind to vote for the best quilt of the evening’s project.  Winner’s to be announced at the June meeting and prizes awarded, too.  

The FarmGirl Vintage block of the month will start in June.  Pam is planning on doing all 48 blocks so there was a sign up for her group if interested.  I am attaching the names of the blocks for her project.  Pam’s group will be doing 4 blocks per month with 1 prize drawing for each month if all 4 blocks are completed.  Bridge and & Mary will be leading another group doing a different version from the same FarmGirl Vintage book.  Please talk to Bridget and Mary about their ideas.  

January’s Retreat will have a movie theme with pj’s and popcorn.  

June’s meeting is this week Thursday the 8th.  It is potluck at Linda Andert’s home.  Please bring a lawn chair and a dish to pass.  I will be attaching a map from Linda along with the email for directions to her home.  
There will be show and tell at this meeting.  And the Barn quilt project will be starting.  This will probably take more than a couple of get together’s for the different steps.  Please be in contact with Linda.  

The upcoming July meeting will be the Cathedral Windows Demonstration.  Erica Plank will be the speaker.  The meeting will be at St. Luke’s Church at 6:30 pm.  Hostess is Linda Justmann.  We could probably use another person to help Linda, not sure if there someone else signed up since my list or not.  Show and Tell will be Cathedral Window quilts, wall hangings, pillows, etc.  

Monday, May 1, 2017

April Meeting Notes

April’s meeting date was changed due to Maundy Thursday.  The main event was speaker Amanda Jean Nyberg.  Sunday Morning Quilts.  Amanda did a trunk show with her scrap quilts along with some organizational ideas for a quilt room.  It was a great show with a chance to purchase books and patterns.

Other business covered:  Eileen talked about Mystical Rose Gardens in Baldwin as a possibility for a small retreat in the future.  Max ability to sew is 12, sleeps 10 in bunks, summer is weekdays only, the possibility could be some people who just come for the day and others that sleep there, 2-night minimum at $200.00 per night for the whole group.

New Project: Barb Rogers and Hope Dietrich explained a project for this month’s meeting night - Sewing Bee Contest – May 11th, 2017 at 6:30 pm.  See the attachment for complete details.  Teams were picked as follows:  Team 1 – Cindy Peer, Judy Brust, Hope, Jean Potter, and Pam Caduff.  Team 2 – Mary Lou, Karen, Linda Andert.  Team 3 – Becky, Bridget, Eileen, and JoDee.  Team 4 – Linda Justman, Mary Pagel, and Barb Rogers.  Please remember to bring the items you discussed as a team at the last meeting.  If you happened to miss the meeting, we will find you a team to be on to participate if you want.  Bring cutting equipment, sewing machines, ironing equipment, etc.  The projects will be displayed at A Little Piece of Mind from May 16-31st.  Make sure to stop in at the quilt shop and vote for your favorite!!  Should be fun!!  Winners will be awarded at the June meeting.
The Farmgirl Vintage block of the month will start in June, possibly 4 blocks per month.  Pam and Mary G. will have more details to provide soon.

Hostess was Patsy Larson.  

Reminder:  St. Croix County Fair Entry forms are due May 31, 2017 – no later

For the upcoming May Meeting:  Discussion topic will be Quilt show – bring your creativity, we need suggestions and ideas!!  We will continue with the By-Law Review, if there is time.  Share your accuracy tips, tools and techniques.  Show and tell is bring your latest creations.  Program will be the Sewing Bee Contest.

Hostesses for May’s meeting are Dale Ann Swanson and Cheri Schmitt

Linda Andert called and asked me to add to the meeting minutes about the projects for the month of June.  We need to be thinking about the Barn quilt project so some of the prep work can be done ahead of time.  Be thinking about the patterns you want to paint, the size options, 2,3,4 foot, so the boards can be cut and primed prior to the time of painting.  What colors of paint to be purchased?  June’s meeting will be at Linda Andert’s home with Potluck Meal.  Linda, please provide us with directions at the May meeting.

As for the barn quilt project, could we get a firm number of people who want to participate so we can figure out the finances, materials needed, supplies, and costs.  If you are planning on participating, could you please reply to this email?  We may need to continue the barn quilt project on another day other than the potluck day due to paint needing to dry, etc. This may need to be a 2-evening project or on a Saturday.  Please be prepared with your thoughts of how you may want to handle this.

Tie Quilts:  This was on the program for the month of May.  We have decided to wait and tie quilts after we have more tops completed and ready to tie.  Perhaps after the Sewing Bee Contest is completed.  More to come on this topic.  Be mindful of when you would like to do this.  Before a meeting?  Or on a weekend, possibly at Stanton Town Hall.

Wednesday, March 15, 2017

March Meeting Notes - Important! April Meeting Rescheduled.

Alert - Due to the April Meeting falling on Maundy Thursday April 13th – the
date has been changed!! April Guild meeting is now Thursday April 6 th , 2017.

The speaker/trunk show has also been rescheduled for April 6 th , 2017.
I am happy to say we had a large group for our March meeting. It was commented on by a few
members. Very nice to see!!

The meeting was called to order by President Eileen Van Dyk. The Secretary’s report was given by given. Approved by Cindy P. and seconded by Patsy L. The Treasurer’s report was given. Approved by Ericka O. and seconded by Patsy L.

Program booklets were handed discussed and handed out. They are continuing to be revised.

Committee reports:

Retreat - there is a possibility of extending to a 3 rd night, won’t know until the month before retreat –price will increase Eileen is researching a small retreat center south of Baldwin – 2 night minimum – need to do own food $200.00 per day - max ability to sew 12 - sleeps 10 in bunks - summer is week days only - the possibility could be some people who just come for the day and others that sleep there - more to come on this possibility

Caring Quilts - Betty and her son and Eileen took all the totes of fabric to Deer Park quilt shop where
they will be stored – we will be able to cut there – just need to schedule with Lynette ahead of time -
storage room downstairs in the back

Programs - Farm Girl Vintage quilt block of the month - books are ordered should be in this next week - Pam Caduff, Mary G. and Bridget L volunteered to put together a plan for the monthly event - JoDee will pick up the books and bring to the next meeting. If you ordered a book and have not paid, please make the checks out to A Little Piece of Mind - JoDee is collecting them

Challenge - Barb and Hope are working on this - Hope presented out a handout for the Challenge - willbe due at the November meeting

Quilt Show - Patsy has a picture of the quilt - using browns and greens - Log Cabin style with a twist

Old Business - By-laws discussion - Sunshine committee - need to define the “immediate family
member” - We are all responsible to notify the committee members when there is a need for a card,
death in the family, surgery, etc . Challenge committee reads good. Article III - Officers was brought up.

Be thinking about any changes you would like to see of the officer by-laws - 1 year term instead of 2 or co-chair, or any other suggestions

Miscellaneous topics - Polk County Fair Entries due May 31 st , 2017 - Blue Bamboo quilt shop in
Plymouth, MN going out of business

Show and Tell – theme was scrappy quilt projects

Demonstrations tonight were Mary Pagel with paper piecing - Scrappy blocks by Nancy Maki - Scrappy Milky Way by Mindy Newman - thank you - nicely done!!

Hostesses were Cindy Peer, Mindy Newman and Judy Brust

Moved to adjourn by JoDee, seconded by Linda A.

Upcoming Event - April 1st Outing - Sew Day at Stanton Town Hall - 9:00 am - Potluck lunch

Next Month - Note the date has been changed to April 6 th , 2017

Program - “Sunday Quilts” A trunk Show by Amanda Jean Nyberg

Show and Tell - show your quilts that can be made in a weekend and bring the pattern

Hostesses - Patsy Larson and Becky Koehler

By-law topic - IV. Membership

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

February Meeting Minutes

February 9, 2017 Willow River Piecemaker’s meeting minutes

Eileen called the meeting to order.  She announced that she is hoping to keep the business meeting to 1 hour or less.  Hopefully less after the by-laws are all gone over and approved.  She is also trying to have a discussion topic for each month’s meeting.  Tonight’s topic was pressing vs ironing.

Secretary’s report was given -  Motion by Cindy P and 2nd by Hope D. to accept the report.
Treasurer’s report given by Bridget  and approved - see details in your written minutes.

Sandy B. announced that Jean Potter now has fabric at her shop for sale.  Watch Facebook for the re-grand opening in March.

Committee Reports
Sunshine committee-  this is to be discussed and clarified to be more consistent -  be thinking about
Raffle Quilt – 2018 – log cabin and scrappy
Quilt Show – needs more committee members
Challenge – Hope and Barb working on it – question – how do we want to run it?  - to present next month
Caring Quilts  - Eileen to contact Lynette at Deer Park quilt shop to see if we can use her basement for storage and use it to work on caring quilts – Linda Justmann offered to  keep the 10 totes of caring quilt stuff at her house if we can’t do it in Deer Park.   Updated information is that we can use the basement of the quilt shop in Deer Park.  Will need to make the time to get the totes from Betty S’s house to Deer Park in the near future.  Also 10 quilts were machine quilted by Jean Potter and distributed out to different members for the bindings.  One of the quilts actually belongs to Betty Schmit.  This quilt is black and purple without a binding.  If you picked it up to bind it, please get a hold of Betty.  Thank you to Jean Potter for machine quilting all these caring quilts.

Other topics discussed:
Post office box  -  We will now have a mailbox here at the church located in the sound room.  We won’t need to pay for the post office box any longer.  Will need to discontinue the post office box in Somerset.  This action was moved by Cindy P and 2nd by Linda A. and approved by the group.  We believe Erica has the key.  Eileen was going to contact Erica.  If anyone knows about the key for the post office, please let us know.  I believe this mailbox needs to discontinued before the end of February to avoid another charge.

Tonight was supposed to be a sewing evening or time to just chat.  (this ended up to be cut short due to the long discussion of the Article V – Committees discussion.)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(From the By-laws) Article V:  Committees
(See the proposed changes in red – note nothing was voted on at this point)
Members shall serve on committee on a volunteer basis.  Standing committees include:  program, budget, quilt show, raffle quilts, retreat, sunshine and challenge.  Additional committees may be formed as needed, at the direction of officers.
1. Program:  Responsible for meeting programs, hospitality and retreats.  Vice-president is the chair. (Changes in red – Officers as a team are responsible. Vice-president is the chair – all members to provide input.
2. Budget:  Responsible for annual budget.  Treasure is chair; includes officers and any interested members. (ok)
3. Quilt Show:  Responsible for organizing the bi0annual Quilt Show.  (ok)
4. Raffle Quilts:  Responsible for organizing and making quilt for the Willow River Piecemakers Quilt show. (Raffle tickets and license discussion – more to discuss)
5. Caring Quilts:  Responsible for organizing and making quilt given to people experience crisis such as illness or disaster and to military personnel serving overseas or injured in military service. (shorten up?)
6. Retreat:  Responsible for organizing retreats. (ok)
7. Sunshine (needs to be clarified and made more consistent)
8. Challenge (ok)
These committees will meet before the November meeting and select a chair, set up a budget and exchange information so they can set up future meetings.

Hostesses:  Along with bringing refreshments to meetings and cleaning up after, have one or more be greeters for the meetings.  This person would introduce guests if they did not come with a current member.  Would also like to have new members have a sponsor so they have someone to contact if they have questions for the first year they are with us.  (end of the Article V.)

Sandy brought for discussion the Raffle license and tickets. Currently this is part of the quilt show committee.   Other quilt guilds include the license and tickets in with the raffle quilt committee.  Be thinking about this as more discussion to follow.  Sandy has been handling this for many years.  She informed us that the license needs to be applied for around the 12 or 13th of January.’
Judy Brust offered to help Cindy P. and Mindy N.  with March as hostess.
Also Eileen has put together a very nice monthly agenda booklet.  It has been updated from last month as it continues to be confirmed and updated.  If you missed the meeting both Eileen and myself have extra copies.

Farm Girl Vintage block of the month project – Cost of the book is normally $29.95 if we get 10 or more books ordered we can get a price break from Alicia and Chaz at $22.95.  A signup sheet went around we got 7 people signed up.  Since I have put out an email and got 2 more people who want to purchase the book and 2 more that are interested in doing the block of the month project but they already have the book.  We still need 1 more person to purchase the book to get the price break.  Please let me know.

Next month (according to the booklet) topic of discussion is what do you do with leftover fabric?
There will be 3 demonstrations – Paper Piecing – Mary Pagel  - Scrappy Blocks – Nancy Maki  - Scrappy Milky Way – Mindy Newman
Show and Tell – bring your scrap basket quilts and be prepared to talk about your pattern and how you used your scrap basket for this quilt project.

By-law review will be Officers and roles

Hostesses will be Cindy Peer, Mindy Newman, and Judy Brust

Tuesday, January 24, 2017

January Meeting Notes

January 12, 2017 Meeting Minutes
President Eileen Van Dyk called the meeting to order.  Meeting minutes were approved by Linda A. and 2nd by Cindy P.
Guest -   Karen Klecewski was introduced.  Karen joined our guild and is coming to retreat in January.
Retreat was discussed.  14 to be attending.  Need to pay this evening. We will be in Fireside room upstairs.  Eileen has room assignments.  No lunch on Friday.  Supper meal on Friday will be provided.   Mary Gosse unable to attend retreat as she is having surgery this week.  Keep her in your thoughts.
Caring quilt committee - Betty will help but not chair the committee - Betty has approx. 10 toes of fabric at her house.
Program committee - Hand out was provided - still in progress - much discussion of the monthly events.

Treasurer's Report and Budgets are in your sent meeting minutes.

Discussion Forum : do you pre wash your fabrics?
Barb Rogers demonstrated trimming and squaring corners.  Eileen Van Dyk demonstrated the basics of rotary cutting.  Good demonstrations and always something to learn.  

Upcoming event – February Outing.  Quilt show Plum Creek at Sergeants greenhouse in Red Wing Feb 4 & 5, 2017.  Hours 9-4.  Admission $4.00.  Show and luncheon in Red Wing.  Signup sheets were passed out.  There was interest for both Saturday and Sunday attendance.  Last time we went, we met at the park and ride in Roberts near 94.  More information to follow on this.

Thank you to hostesses for December -  Meg Tryba and Heide Headlee.

Next month’s meeting is Feb.  9th, 2017.
Hostesses are Mary Pagel and JoDee Johnston.
Program will be pressing vs ironing.  February meeting will also be a sewing night.  Bring your projects to sew or cut including the supplies you will need.
Show and Tell will have a theme each month.  February Show & Tell is:  your current projects with the pattern or projects that you have questions about.

Please be mindful of what tips you can share with the group, especially to the newer quilters.  Also if you would like to do a demonstration or be on a committee, please contact Eileen or any of the officers.  Thank you.

JoDee Johnston
Secretary

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

December Meeting Notes

December 8, 2016 Meeting Minutes

New President Eileen Van Dyk called the meeting to order:

6 Christmas stocking were brought to the meeting for show and tell.  Patsy Larson moved me donate them to Grace Place. 2nd by Mindy.  Motion approved.  Jean Krumm offered to drop them off at Grace Place during the day.  Linda A. also gave her some pillowcases to donate also.

Cheri Schmidt informed us that her daughter Carrie received a caring quilt and she absolutely loves it!!  She stated that the chemo is holding her daughter’s cancer steady by the side effects of the medications is tough.  There was a thank you read also from Carrie.

A correction was made from last month’s meeting minutes by Patsys.  Louis Armstrong in the minutes should have been Louis Germain.  Correction noted.

Many new ideas and topics were discussed at the meeting.  Eileen is working on a program booklet to hand out to the group with a schedule of events for the year.  She is hoping to have it available for January with new events to be added through the year.  There will be a truck show at the April meeting from Amanda Jean Nyberg from Sunday Morning Quilts. JoDee Johnston contacted Amanda and will be her contact.
There was discussion of doing a block of the month as a group from the book Farm Girl Vintage.  This will be decided at the January meeting.  Everyone will need to purchase the book if they are interested.  Alicia from quilt shop will give us a price break on the books if we decide to proceed.

Budget  - There was discussion of using last year’s expenditures for putting together a budget for this upcoming year.  If was brought up by Meg Tryba to increase the budget for the raffle quilt as it’s hard to put together a nice raffle quilt for the current budget. Patsy stated that she is on the raffle quilt committee for the upcoming quilt and that she has started on it and is using fabric from the quild’s fabric that is at Betty Schmit’s house.
Dues  - Dues are $15.00 this year.  They are being collected at this time.

Retreat  -  January’s retreat is at Oak Forrest Center in Frederic.  Jan 13-15th, 2017.  This is a Friday to Sunday retreat this year.  There are signup sheets going around.  They are hoping for 15-18 if possible.  I believe there were 12 people signed up at the time of the meeting.  Please get a hold of Eilleen Van Dyk if you are still interested in attending.

Kelly S. moved to adjourn the meeting.  2nd by Linda A.  Meeting adjourned.  

Potluck was enjoyed at the meeting. Kelly Stodola  and Bridget Larson.  Thank you.   Show and tell was done and we played the dice game, everyone winning fat quarters as prizes.  Fun was had by all.

Next month’s meeting will be January 12th, 2017.  This will be the evening before the retreat starts.

January Hostesses are Meg Tryba and Heidi Headlee.

We are hoping to have more demonstrations during the year and education opportunities.  Eileen is working on getting a speaker for the month of July.  She showed an example of a pillow at the meeting.  The group was interested in the pillow project.

Please be thinking about what quilting tips you can share with the group.  Or if you are interested in doing a demo, please let Eileen or any of the officers know.

Also, I just wanted to the let the guild know that the officers have met and discussed the many topics and issues from the November team building event.  A huge thank you goes out to Eileen for organizing this challenging and hopefully productive event.  We are working to make the guild meetings more streamlined and hopefully more educational and fun.  Please bring any ideas or suggestions forward to the group.

JoDee Johnston
Secretary